Originally the club was called the "Georgian Bay Woodcarvers", which was started in 1991 by Dennis Hern and Fred Howard. In 1995, with guidance and help from Alfred Scott, the club moved to the Wye Marsh Wild Life Centre. In 1997, Alfred became president and ran the club for many years. With the move to the Wye Marsh, the club changed its' name to:
"Wye Marsh Association of Woodcarvers", (WMAWC)
For several years the WMAWC hosted the "Canadian Wildlife Carving Championships"
until it was moved to Kitchener, Ontario.
WMAWC currently operates out of a clubhouse located in the middle of the Wye Marsh Wildlife Centre near Midland Ontario.
Our clubhouse has a well equipped tool room as well as a community carving room for all club members to use.
The tool room is equipped with:
- a power sander
- a knife/chisel sharpening wheel
- a band saw
- 3 dust extractors
The community carving room has:
- 11 carving stations equipped with suction vents connected to 3 separate dust extractors for the power carvers
- separate work benches/stations for the hand carvers
- heating and air conditioning
We meet every Tuesday from 9:00am to 5:00pm and 7:00pm to 9:00pm. With 25 active members our carvers range in styles from Bird carving to Relief carving to Caricature carving to Tree Spirit carving to Totems.
For our members' exclusive use, we have a well stocked inventory of wood, books, patterns, eyes and all other kinds of research materials for all types of carving styles.
Our Mission is:
"To promote wood carving and to provide an opportunity for anyone interested in woodcarving, regardless of their level of expertise, to carve and learn from one another. Most of all, we strive to provide a safe and happy environment where members and guests feel welcome and have FUN."
- to have a safe working environment for all members
- to provide a fun place to come and socialize
- to encourage working on class projects
- to promote carving and grow the club membership
- to host a carving competition in the near future to serve the carving community around southern Ontario.
This site showcases some of our members carvings - so take your time and browse through the pages to view the wonderful carvings that our group of talented carvers have created.
Club Executive - 2021:
Greg Howse - President
Jack Nicolle - Vice President
Sam Sgro - Secretary Treasurer